Website Menucontent
Close Menucontent


Please expand the sections below to read the obituaries of OLs, staff and close friends of the College.

  • David John Hoyle, Gibbs' 1982–1987 (June 2017)

    We were saddened to hear of the passing of David Hoyle in June 2017.

    The following obituary was compiled from contributions by dozens of David's friends, colleagues and family members:

    David John HOYLE (1969–2017), of Crondall, Surrey, was a social scientist who devoted his life to protecting African forests and natural ecosystems for the biodiversity they harbour; for the indigenous people and communities that depend on them; and to secure their vital role in mitigating dangerous climate change for the benefit of us all. 

    The second of three children born to Mike and Marion Hoyle, David enjoyed a happy upbringing in Farnham with a spell in Egypt (1975–77). His love of wildlife was sparked by his maternal Grandfather, John who introduced him to the trees, birds and flowers in his garden. David schooled at Barrow Hills before going to Lancing College, West Sussex for O and A Levels. A geography field trip to Malawi seems to have first triggered David’s lifelong passion for Africa. He went back to teach in Zimbabwe before reading Human Geography at Reading University (1988–91).

    He then volunteered with VSO in Mpika, Zambia (1992–94) on the Integrated Rural Development Project, a pioneering programme strengthening institutional capacity of local government to plan and implement decentralised rural development. Working as an Appropriate Technology Trainer, David threw himself into his work and the local community, helping them to identify solutions using local materials, and easily adopted techniques to support self-sufficiency. Building on the work of previous volunteers, David scaled up the introduction of innovative clay ovens, reducing demand for charcoal and saving household expenses. He also developed community approaches to ox-cart making, thereby improving transportation of goods and people leading to economic and community benefits. He also trained livestock keepers to use sheep and cattle skins to make leather, thereby increasing their incomes. 

    David then completed a Masters in Natural Resource Management at Edinburgh University (1994–95). A series of conservation related voluntary and research jobs followed, in Scotland, Sierra Leone and Nigeria, leading to the first of many spells with WWF, working in Zaire, Kenya and Tanzania, for which he raised funds and promoted the essential social aspects of conservation.

    In 1999, David ventured to Nguti, in the densely forested South West Region of Cameroon with the Wildlife Conservation Society, managing community based conservation projects in the biodiversity hotspot that spans the Cameroon-Nigeria border. There, he engaged with local communities, traditional authorities, government decision makers and the private sector alike to address threats to biodiversity, and raise funds for his conservation work – skills that served him well thereafter. David employed a number of young graduates from the local community to build his team. One of them, Marceline, would become his wife in 2002. From that point on, David was widely known in Cameroon as “Moyo” or “in-law”, in Pidgin – a language he spoke fluently. Before leaving, David founded the NGO Nature Cameroon to sustain efforts after the WCS project closed. After his years of service to the community, the people of Nguti bestowed on him the title of “Quarter Chief”.  Thenceforth David, alongside the region’s elites and diaspora, never tired of contributing to local development and environmental protection in Nguti. 

    Returning to UK in 2004, the young family chose Crondall Village as their home. David managed WWF’s Eastern African Ecoregion programme in Kenya, Tanzania, and Mozambique protecting the region’s marine ecosystems and rapidly declining coastal forest. As well as securing substantial resources from UK and multilateral donors, David was one of the early movers to court large corporate sponsors such as Old Mutual, Vodafone and Barclays to boost funds. During this time, he also worked on the “Good Woods” initiative, an alliance of wood-carvers and traders, community development organisations and conservation groups in Kenya to optimise sustainable management of sought-after hardwoods for musical instruments and wood-carving, improving revenues for local communities. 

    In 2007, Africa beckoned again, taking the family to Dar es Salaam where David worked with his colleague and close friend Dr Amani Ngusaru to establish the Coastal East Africa Initiative which went on to become one of the best-performing of WWF’s 12 global priority programmes. In particular, they worked across the WWF Network to bring north and south together, inspiring some excellent collaboration, and began transformational work to improve tuna fisheries and forest trade throughout the region. David also produced a series of videos that bear witness to the devastating effects of climate change on wildlife, freshwater habitats, urban environments and local livelihoods in fragile East Africa.

    Thence to Cameroon once more from 2010–12, where, as WWF’s Conservation Director he coordinated programmes and large teams supporting anti-poaching, law enforcement and Protected Area management across the country. He also led policy and high-level advocacy work to protect Cameroon’s forests from the rapidly emerging threats of mining, forestry and agro-industrial investments. He spearheaded one of Congo Basin’s first “REDD+” projects to reduce emissions from deforestation and forest degradation, as part of global efforts to mitigate climate change. Starting with WWF and continuing later with Wildlife Works, David worked intensively to secure the almost pristine 1-million-hectare Ngoyla Mintom forest massif from logging and land use change, a long-term initiative that is gradually gaining ground. He also facilitated the production of Phil Agland’s second documentary for BBC about the plight of the Baka Pygmies in Cameroon. 

    For the last four years, David has worked with ProForest, Oxford, where, as Conservation and Land Use Director, he brought his two decades of hands-on experience to bear on the challenges posed by the expansion of agriculture and forestry in tropical developing countries, thereby making a huge contribution to efforts to reduce deforestation. Travelling widely, he led work on testing, refining and negotiating consensus around global methodologies to identify High Conservation Values and High Carbon Stocks, both essential to guide decision making in a new generation of agricultural development that integrates conservation, climate-smart decision making and community development, in face of ever-growing pressure for land to meet the burgeoning demand for commodities.  

    His patience and foresight was invaluable in turning vision into reality, especially in Gabon where he worked between 2013 and 2017 with Olam International on a nationally important project to establish over 50,000 ha of independently certified, carbon neutral, socially responsible and biodiversity-friendly palm plantations. Always focused on the end goal, David was able to reconcile diverse stakeholders with very different priorities and synthesise many overlapping land use demands to broker spatial and management plans which satisfied very high standards of performance.

    He also headed the Africa Palm Oil Initiative, under which major Private Sector companies who are signed up to the Tropical Forest Alliance 2020, negotiated commitments and a set of principles with Governments to ensure zero-deforestation supply chains for operations throughout Central and West Africa. This work culminated in seven African Governments signing the TFA 2020 Marrakesh Declaration for the Sustainable Development of the Oil Palm Sector in Africa, at the COP22 Climate Conference in Nov 2016.

    As remarkable as his professional achievements, is the way in which David achieved them. Colleagues from every institution he served have shared testimonies of a man who was a treasured and respected member of every team he worked with for his very special combination of talents: adaptable, collaborative, constructive, energetic, modest, patient, practical, positive, but also honest about challenges and problems, a man who took his responsibilities seriously, but always did so with patience, humour and warm-heartedness to others, brightening every meeting and encounter. His approach to his work and life were one and the same - David engaged people as equals in an open, respectful way, always with a smile on his face and always with a sense of fun. David was both practical and firm in his judgement of how to carry out fair and equitable development, often taking a tough stance in order to ensure the right outcome – and more often than not, got what he wanted!

    David was also an accomplished photographer – his wildlife pictures often featured in company publications. His human touch enabled his lens to capture the perfect moments of people too, looking relaxed, happy or both.

    In his private life, David was a committed family man - a loyal son, beloved brother and a proud husband and father. But his love and generosity did not stop at his own 3 children – he also put many members of his extended family, and other promising students from the Nguti community through school and university. 

    David actively engaged with every community in which the family settled, participating enthusiastically in church and social life, supporting charitable causes, including years of support to an orphanage in Dar es Salaam. When in UK, David visited local schools, inspiring youngsters about the importance of protecting the environment, and avoiding climate change. 

    The huge outpouring of grief following the shock announcement David’s departure - from his immediate and extended family, from the entire community of Crondall and many others he has lived in, and the world of conservation across many continents - is testament to the love and respect he shared with, and earned from all who had the pleasure to meet him.

    There is no explanation that satisfies our efforts to understand the cruel irony that, after a life dedicated to protecting forests, and evading the very real dangers of living, working and travelling in remote parts of Africa, David was snatched away by a modest Cherry tree, blown onto his car roof by unseasonably high winds at 07.10 am on 6th June 2017 - just 5 minutes from his home in Crondall. He died instantly, and probably didn’t even see it coming. 

    The faithful, as David was, struggle to find some divine purpose in his early exit. The scientists among us might explain it as a cruel case of the climate change feedback, prematurely taking away one of the all-too-rare persons who have committed so much effort to address climate change, thereby exacerbating the challenge of reducing its predicted devastating impacts on the habitats and people that David held most precious. 

    In life, David always had a knack of gathering people together and galvanising them to do more than he, or they, could possibly have done alone.  In death, he’s done it one last time – plans are already advancing to put together a fund to sustain the work and spirit that David embodied. He will not be forgotten. 

    David is survived by his wife, Marceline and their three children, his brother Nick, sister Julia, and both his parents.

  • Jenkyn William Owain Hughes, Olds 1927–1930 (May 2017)

    We were saddened to hear of the passing of Jenkyn Hughes OL (Olds, 1927–1930) in May 2017.

    With sincere thanks to Mr Hughes' family, the eulogy from his funeral on 10 July 2017 is presented below:

    Jenkyn Hughes - Eulogy (PDF)

  • Herbert Obuobi Addo, Sanderson’s 1964–1969 (March 2017)

    We were saddened to hear of the passing of Herbert 'Herby' Obuobi Addo OL (Sanderson's, 1964–1969).

    Herbert Obuobi Addo (PDF)

  • Michael (Mike) Hayward Lipscomb, Olds 1953–1958 (March 2017)

    We were saddened to hear of the recent passing of Mike Lipscomb OL (Olds, 1953–1958). Mike's son Tim has kindly shared the eulogy, below:

    Dad was born in 1940 at the beginning of the War. Despite the austerities and privations of that time, Dad's early years were as full of love and generosity as they could be. The roots of his character emerged early on – he was always his own man, straight as an arrow and with a great sense of what was right and wrong. If there was something Dad had decided he was going to do - he would take no prisoners in getting it done. If that thing involved physical exercise or the outdoors, then so much the better. And if he could win at it, then that was the best. 

    A story from school springs to mind. Lancing had a famously severe cross country running course, the Five Mile, and Dad, by dint of sheer effort as much as native talent, had become a valued member of the cross country team: he enjoyed the exertion and the sense of being alone on the South Downs. The annual school championship in 1957 was held in the most appalling conditions: a blizzard with a high and biting wind. Unusually, many competitors that year failed to complete the course, but not Dad; he won.  Before the race, and for days afterwards he complained of a pain in his leg and it was found on X-ray that it had a hair-line fracture. So far as we know he is the only person to have won that race with a broken leg. 

    After school, Dad decided to follow his father into the army, choosing to serve in the Royal Engineers where his intellectual gifts could be put to best advantage. He graduated as the top Sapper from Sandhurst, and went on to take an in-service degree at Cambridge University where he achieved First Class honours in Engineering. He sailed through the Staff College Exam to win a place at Camberley, and moved steadily up the Army: upon his retirement he was awarded an MBE. The army was the perfect forum to meet other similarly determined, competitive and outdoor-focused individuals - and he spent much of the spare time in his bachelor years walking and climbing across the country with anyone who would keep up with him, which was usually just his dog, Gambol. One summer expedition he led was to Norway's Lofoten Islands inside the Arctic Circle. When asked by his family: Why? The answer came: Because it won’t get dark, so you don't have to stop climbing.

    Through the army, and very fortunately, Daddy met our mother Rosie. It happened in Northern Ireland at a cocktail party. Mummy very quickly made up her mind that they would make a good team: she recognised his moral fibre and strong faith in God. With Dad's bachelor years behind him, the canine companion was replaced by children, and Norway was replaced by the North Downs. However, his love of the outdoors was not diminished. "Welly boots and anoraks" was the battle cry when Daddy would round up the four children and take us out walking at every possible opportunity. It didn't matter whether it was bucketing down with rain or whether we were kicking and screaming - Daddy would administer the dose of fresh air and exercise. There was no such thing as an "off-games" note in our house.

    Sometimes these expeditions were unintentionally exciting. I remember one such occasion on Meon Hill near where we lived in Stratford upon Avon. It was early Spring, and we were on the return leg of our walk, heading across a field of cows and calves. I was in a Karry-pack on dad's back: being too young to walk was not a sufficient excuse to avoid the hike entirely. We were close to the field gate when a cow started to run at Daddy. He must have walked between the cow and her calf. The other children made it through the gate, but I vividly remember the cow knocking Daddy to the ground, me still on his back, and Dad rolling in the mud. He picked himself up (and me with him) as if nothing had happened, and carried on through the gate. 

    His family was relatively forgiving of these foibles - but people beyond the family less so. When I was 11, I recall Daddy treating my French exchange to a Mike-style cycling holiday around the Isle of Wight. Poor Guillaume wasn't prepared for the 50 mile-a-day itinerary riding my sister's very heavy pink bike over the Surrey hills and down to the south coast. I can't blame Guillaume for not wishing to continue with the relationship as a result of this experience and neither do I hold him responsible for the deterioration in my written and spoken French from this point. It's fair to say that Dad had more success with the local ramblers – although I think this is a friendship which blossomed once Dad slowed down and his leaving the rest of the group behind became a less frequent occurrence. 

    But despite subjecting his children to such trauma and excitement, Daddy's loyalty to his family was unfaltering. He would do anything for us. When we were at primary school, he cleaned our shoes every day, such that Naomi and Tim's headmaster would remark on their shiny shoes in morning assembly.  And his determined streak to complete a job was more evident than ever if it was for our benefit. He used to tell with pride the story of how he picked up a speeding ticket on the Woodstock Road in Oxford as he was rushing to deliver one of Naomi's essays before a deadline, but of course the deadline was met. And for a man who wasn't a big fan of spending time couped up in the car or the environmental consequences of burning petrol, he was an extraordinarily diligent supporter of me in my school rowing career. He followed me up and down the country to bellow support from the river bank and took huge delight whenever we returned from a regatta with a trophy.

    His support only grew as the family got bigger, and the same loyalty he showed to his children he extended to our partners. Beth's husband Anthony even benefited from the legendary shoe cleaning service the evening before their wedding.

    And he took absolute delight in his 8 grandchildren. Sometimes his sense of loyalty to them could take him above and beyond the call of duty. Last February half term he was with Beth and Anthony's children, Ella and Eddie. They were having a great time kicking around their cherished Watford football. But at one point the ball sailed past its intended destination and landed in a stream. The children were inconsolable, but not for long. Undeterred by the icy water, Grandad waded into the stream up to his thighs, and to the sound of cheers from the bank retrieved the prized ball. 

    While he had had the occasional 'silly' streak as a father - with wheelbarrow races round the garden and tickling us to within an inch of our lives while he read us Mr Tickle - it was his grandchildren that made this playfulness a dominant trait. I had never seen him on a bouncy castle until he had grandchildren. The garden - having been the preserve of Dad's carefully-tended roses, apple orchard and vegetable patch with rows of beans, parsnips and potatoes, suddenly sprouted swings and slides once the grandchildren arrived. And visits from Grandad would be accompanied by endless games. He could always be relied upon to blow a raspberry on a tummy, or feign indignation bashing through an empty boiled eggshell. All of this to howls of delight and inevitable hiccoughs from an adoring crowd shouting for more. He taught his grandchildren all manner of bad behaviour - and they taught him that it was ok to let someone else win a game for a change. 

    That was true to a point - of course, because he still loved to win. You could always tell when a game hadn't gone his way at the bridge club, or indeed when it had. He even turned his cycling commute to the golf club – where he worked for 17 years until he was 75 – into a competitive sport. He would triumphantly tally the number of cars sitting in traffic that he passed on his bike on his way to work, and proudly claimed that he would cover 2000 miles a year on his bike. 

    While it is a great sadness to us all that Daddy has gone while he still had so much to give, it is a huge comfort that he left while he was still enjoying life to the full. He was filling life with his family, the garden and bridge, and he would not have relished the prospect of giving up any of these. He leaves us not only with happy memories but also the values of perseverance, a combination of stamina and determination and utter moral transparency. As his brother David recently said, you were only ever talking to the real Mike: what you saw was what you got – he never pretended to be anything other than – Mike.

  • Dr Henry (Harry) Joy Clarke, Olds 1939–1943 (March 2017)

    Dr Henry (Harry) Joy Clarke (Olds 1939–1943) b. 24 May 1925 passed away in South Africa on 21 March 2017 after complications following breaking his hip. He was evacuated with Lancing during the war to Ludlow and went on to St Edmund Hall, Oxford before switching to do medicine at the Middlesex Hospital in London. He joined his aunt in general  practice in Eastbourne, where he remained full time until the age of 70, and carried on part time well beyond this. He played football for the Lancing Old Boys and loved his golf. His three sons Hugh, Andrew, Richard all became doctors. Twin grandsons, Robert and Edward Clarke (Gibbs’ 2008–2013) were sports scholars in recent years at Lancing. He is survived by his wife Maureen, his three sons and nine grandchildren.


  • Michael Aldous, Gibbs' 1947–1951 (February 2017)

    We were saddened to hear of the passing of Michael Aldous, Gibbs' 1947–1951.

    Michael Aldous - Eulogy by John Ashwood OL (PDF)

    Remembering Dad - by Chris Aldous (PDF)

  • Biddie Shearwood – wife of former Master, Ken Shearwood (November 2016)

    We were greatly saddened to hear of the passing of Biddie Shearwood, wife of former Master, Ken Shearwood, who died on 27 November 2016, aged 96.

    We are grateful to their son, Paul Shearwood, for sharing the address he gave at his mother's funeral.

    Mum was born in an old farmhouse in the Vale of Evesham in 1920. The farmhouse was called Oxtalls. It had no electricity and lighting was by gas. The farm grew fruit and vegetables. There’s a picture of Mum at the age of about two, tiny, dressed in white, in an orchard with all the trees covered in blossom. Knowing Mum, a lover of flowers and Nature, she would have loved being there.

    Her father, Bob Rowland, had been adventurous in his early years, going to sea at the age of 16 and serving before the mast in the great sailing ships of the late 19th Century. After five years of this he returned, raised some money and bought the farm. I heard from Mum he was nicknamed the Sprout King of Evesham.

    He had met Mum’s mother when she was a land girl on the farm in the first world war. Granny was the daughter of a gold miner in Madagascar and was actually born in Madagascar.

    It was a happy childhood for Mum. There was swimming in the river Avon which ran through the land. Her brother Robert was born, also in Oxtalls farmhouse. In front of me is sitting my cousin Bob who lives in Oxtalls these days with his wife Rose.

    Mum went to a local school until around the age of 10 and then was sent away to school. We know she was homesick because of a poem she later wrote about the experience. She was good at art and English and swimming, being made captain of the school swimming team.

    After school, with the war looming, Mum began training as a physiotherapist in Birmingham. She had a lucky escape once, when the bombs had started to fall. A friend living in the same hostel had invited her to her room to play cards. While they were playing a bomb struck, destroying Mum’s room.

    She qualified and went to work in London and later in Southampton. On D Day, when she was in Southampton, she and the other physiotherapists and most of the nurses were summoned by Matron who said simply: “well, here we go.” This was the cue for them all to go down to the docks and meet the injured coming back from the landings and go with them by ambulance to the hospital.

    The experience of war helped make Mum a heartfelt pacifist. It was not only the sight of the wounds and the suffering but she was also shocked to see the hatred displayed between injured German and British soldiers when they were brought in together. She came to passionately and unwaveringly believe that all war was wrong. And she would say so if ever war came up in conversation. She wouldn't allow anyone to trivialise it or discuss it lightly.

    Mum had met Dad in 1942 in Derby. Dad was brought up in Derby and one of Mum’s physiotherapist pals was from Derby and was sister to a friend of Dad’s.

    For the rest of the war they wrote to each other and this culminated in Marriage in 1946.

    Then, with the war over, it was a question of what to do. A chance encounter in a Dartmouth pub where Dad was being demobbed, led to the arguably rash decision to buy a boat in Mevagissey and learn to fish. So Mum became an inshore fisherman’s wife for two years, sometimes joining Dad and crew on the boat.

    They didn’t have much money- some of the furniture consisted of upturned boxes- but they’d survived the war, they had each other as well as a large black labrador named Kim, the fishermen were kind and friendly, friends would come and stay and life was fun on the whole.

    But then Dad landed a place in Oxford and they were on the move again, settling in Woodstock for three years where Dad played a lot of Football and did some intense studying in the six months leading up to his degree, Mum taking all this change in her stride, including having me.

    Lancing of course came next. We moved into a school house in Hoe Court and spent 7 years there before Dad became a housemaster.

    In Hoe Court, Mum lived the life of an ordinary housewife but being a housemaster’s wife was a bit different. Dad ran an open door policy so anyone wanting to see him could come and visit at any time. There was of course much less privacy but Mum adjusted and gave Dad much support, even employing her physiotherapy skills with injured first 11 football players. She would also provide kindness and comfort to anyone in need, suffering, say, from homesickness.

    One of the old boys wrote the following to us:

    “For all of us, Biddie has been a bit of reference and her indomitable spirit of goodness will certainly remain fast with those of us lucky enough to have known her. The love and warmth that she radiated was palpable- a fleeting glance was all it would take. Of course I have special memories: in my early days up at the college when feeling bleak, only Biddie’s cups of tea and hot buttered toast, gentle smiles and comforting words would allay my troubled mind. Even now, I can relive those sensations quite vividly. Biddie always spoke clearly and quietly, but unwavering in her belief in what was right and fair.”

    I can recognise that description of Mum. She was like that.

    She wrote quite a lot of poems at the college which were eventually published. She was also creative in the visual arts. She had a box camera from childhood and used to photograph the gipsy families picking fruit on the farm. She continued using a camera until she was no longer able to. She had a keen eye for colour and composition and her drawings, particularly of Dad, were quite unique and would reduce all of us, including Mum, to tears of laughter.

    She hardly ever went to Church but she was deeply spiritual in the Christian tradition.

    For most of her last four years she was in bed and cared for with great kindness and skill by careworkers, who came three times a day in pairs. Their support was wonderful and invaluable, as was the support of the N.H.S., allowing mum to remain at home as we all wanted. And Mum, through the whole period, never really changed in her essence. That is to say she remained loving and kind throughout, which of course made caring for her so much easier. She would often tell people she loved them and I think that probably cheered up the carers sometimes, at the start of the day with a long day of work ahead of them.

    And she enjoyed life despite being immobile. You’d go in in the morning with something for her to drink and she’d be bright eyed, looking around with interest and anticipation and she might say how beautiful it was there, in the room she was in, the greenery outside.

    Towards the end of her life, she was sleeping most of the time and was hardly talking at all, but she did say something on Wednesday, four days before she died. What she said turned out to be the last words we heard her say.  At Dad’s suggestion, on Tuesday evening Vanessa had taken up the small Christmas tree we’ve used for years and put it in her bedroom. In the morning the carers turned Mum so she was facing in the tree’s direction and then they heard her say: “it’s Christmas.”

  • George David Millyard, Gibbs' 1944–1949 (September 2016)

    George David Millyard (Gibbs’ 1944–1949)

    Born in the Welsh borders on 17 May 1931, David attended Beaudesert Park Prep School near Stroud and from there gained a scholarship to Lancing in 1944. In a recently discovered congratulatory letter to his father from Frank Doherty, the Lancing Head Master, he was said to have topped the list and ‘to have done as well as any boy in the Scholarship Examination for 30 years’. David never mentioned this to his family. 

    In Gibbs’, he served as House Captain, Prefect and Head of House and played for the Football XI.

    In 1949 David was awarded an Open Scholarship to University College Oxford, but opted to do his National Service in the Army Education Corps, before going up to read Classics in 1951. 

    Following graduation with an honours degree in Greats, he joined Burmah Shell and spent three interesting years in Pakistan selling oil. However, he came to the conclusion that this was not the right career for him. Returning to Oxford, he found an administrative job in the University Surveyor’s Department. 

    In 1963 David was encouraged to follow an Oxford colleague, who was appointed the first Surveyor of the new University of Kent at Canterbury. It was two years before the arrival of the first undergraduates and it was here that he met Jane, also one of the first few administrative staff. David worked initially on the exciting development of the new campus before moving to the academic division of the Registry, where he was appointed Academic Secretary and Deputy Registrar. His role expanded as the University grew and he remained there until 1990. 

    He much enjoyed entertaining Sheppard Frere and his wife, following Frere’s award of an honorary doctorate by the University, in recognition of his work in Canterbury after the bombing of the city.

    David retained a lifelong interest in the classical world and in the arts in general. During his long retirement he immersed himself in local life, researching the history of his village and parish church, which he served faithfully until his death. 

    David died on 15 September 2016 aged 85 and is survived by Jane, a son Nicholas, a daughter Sarah, and three grandsons.

  • David Attwooll, Olds 1962–1966 (August 2016)

    We were saddened to hear of the passing of the critically-acclaimed poet David Attwooll, Olds 1962–1966.

    Please click on the following links to read obituaries for David.

    Oxford Times

    The Guardian

    Liverpool University Press

  • Donald Tyson, Former Staff Member 1968-1995 (July 2016)

    We were very sad to hear from his wife Noreen that Donald Tyson passed away on 9 July after a long battle with cancer. Donald taught at Lancing from January 1968 to June 1995. During this time he was Master i/c Shooting 1968–1978 and was Head of German and Russian 1985–1995. After two decades as a bachelor in the Masters’ Tower, he married Noreen and became a father to daughter, Alex, at the age of 53. In recent years he and Noreen moved from Steyning to Oxfordshire, but we were delighted to see them both at the 2015 Evelyn Waugh Lecture and Foundation Dinner. He remained a very loyal supporter of the College and will be missed by many.

    Click this LINK to read a recent news item about Donald's involvement with the annual German Exchange.

    Donald Tyson Remembered (PDF) - a tribute from Christopher Doidge.

  • John Selmon, Sanderson's 1947-1952 (January 2016)

    Very sadly, we have heard that John Selmon passed away peacefully on Monday 4 January 2016.

    John's lifelong association with the College began in 1947 when he joined Sanderson's in May that year. He excelled at football, playing in the First X1 in 1952 and was also a member of the Athletics Team. In 1951 he was made Head of House and became a Prefect, leaving in 1952 and going on to Brasenose College, Oxford in 1953. Following a successful career at director level in marketing and advertising for national newspapers, John became Director of Development at the Institute of Directors 1976-1990. John joined the College as the first Director of Development in 1990, he also edited the Fifth Edition of the Lancing Register in 1994. On leaving his post at the College in 1998, he then went on to edit the Lancing Club magazine for 14 years and loyally served on the Lancing Club Committee for many years.

    A full obituary will follow.

  • Timothy Webb, Sanderson's 1944-1947 (November 2015)

    TIMOTHY WEBB (1929-2015)
    Sanderson’s 1944-47

    Timothy (Tim) Webb passed away on November 16, 2015 at the age of 86 years, in Melbourne, Australia.

    Timothy’s birthplace was Lancing, as his father Alan, was a Master at the College and the family lived nearby.

    The proximity of Shoreham Airport just below the College was to have a profound impact on Timothy, who was frequently berated for missing cricket ‘catches’ because he had been distracted by planes flying in and out of the Airport. His lifelong fascination with planes began here.

    Tim’s Lancing education was interrupted by a three-year stint in Australia when his father took up a position at King’s School Parramatta in Sydney. This was quite a cultural shock for the family, and Tim and his younger brother, David, suffered some serious ribbing by their Aussie classmates! The family returned to England in 1944 after a four-month long sea voyage with the convoy of ships only partially avoiding torpedo attacks by submarines. It was a vivid memory for Tim.

    After finishing at Lancing he did national service with the RAF in 1947, serving in the UK and Germany as an aircraft mechanic. He attended College in London and gained his Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering in 1952 and later worked with Flight Refuelling in its design office.

    Tim met his wife Irene (‘Mickie’) who was a nurse at Salisbury and they married in 1954. In 1959, they emigrated to Melbourne, Australia, with their two older children, Caroline and Stephen. Their third child, Michael, was born there.

    Due to trade union remonstrations about migrants taking local jobs, a promised position in aeronautical engineering was rescinded.  So Tim did door-to-door sales until landing a position with the Shell Petroleum Company where he worked for 22 years as an Area Representative and later a Dealer Training Officer.

    Whilst working with Shell, Tim also designed a road-safety board game for children (METCON), which was awarded the Toy of the Year (indoor games) in 1978. Tim established a very successful business to market METCON and other road safety games. The business continued to support Tim and his family for nearly 20 years, and enabled Tim to take early retirement from the Shell Company in 1981.

    Timothy had a keen interest in community service, and was an active member of the Jaycees (Junior Chamber International), serving as a local chapter Chairman, and was made a JCI Senator. He served as Chairman of a regional Road Safety Council, and Vice-Chairman of a local driver training school.

    His love of aviation continued through the years, and in the 1990s following a visit to the UK, he did extensive research to complete a History of Shoreham Airport, launching the first of two books in 1996. This was a considerable feat as he now lived 12,000 miles away!

    In 2002 Tim retired (again!) and moved with his wife to a retirement village, but maintained his active community involvement. His wife passed in 2011.

    In 2014 after a bad fall, he moved to the village hostel. Tim still kept up an interest in the gardens surrounding his room and lounge area at the hostel, albeit directing family members in planting and pruning from his armchair. His sharp wit was ever lurking, and if the topic of planes was raised he was master of information and detail!

    He struggled with his lack of capacity to get about after another bad fall, but he loved to chat – life, politics, family, etc. If visitors came to the hostel to entertain, with music for instance, he was always concerned that nobody was arranged to make a little speech at the end of the presentation – and he would dutifully come to the fore with appropriate words. He was always the gentleman.

    Tim passed peacefully at the hostel in November. He is survived by his three children and his four grandchildren and partners. He will be sadly missed but we know he has far better things to be doing.   We now ponder the delights of a former aeronautical engineer being in Heaven and contemplating the possibilities!

    Submitted by: Caroline Hands (nee Webb)

  • Ian Keith Robinson, Sanderson's 1948-1952 (October 2015)

    We were deeply saddened to hear that Ian Robinson, an OL that we had come to know well over the years, passed away suddenly on 20 October 2015. Having attended the Sanderson's and Olds Reunion just over a week beforehand with his sons, OLs Andrew and Stephen and his beloved wife Ann, it was a shock to us all.This obituary was forwarded to us by his family:

    Ian Robinson obituary

  • E John Mackie CBE, Field’s 1945–1949 (October 2015)

    Click here to read John's obituary: E John Mackie obituary

    John was, with his wife Gee, great friends with John Arnone, Manager, Public Relations, Mitsubishi Canada, who wrote this fitting obituary at, an online Toronto newspaper:




  • Rupert Paul Sylvester Hughes, Second's 1948-1953 (August 2015)

    We were extremely saddened to hear of the passing of Rupert Hughes OL in August 2015.

    Please click HERE to read Rupert's obituary from The Guardian.

  • Jeremy Michael Vivian Taylor, Gibbs' 1949-1953 (July 2015)

    Jeremy Taylor (Gibbs’ 1949–1953)

    We were incredibly saddened to learn of Jeremy’s death in July. There was no greater supporter of Lancing and the Foundation Office.

    Spoken by Nick Evans at the funeral of Jeremy Taylor.

    “It’s probably a boarding school thing, but I always remember the initials of people I was at school with! PMHR, CKH, JDH, NAOB – they are all here! And of course, JMVT - Jeremy Taylor. As I said to him one day, with initials like that you could have been captain of Hampshire CC, but of course, Jeremy was a footballer.

    I only overlapped with Jeremy for two terms back in 1953 and remember him playing for the 1st XI against the famous Pegasus side which Ken Shearwood (our Master in charge and their Wembley centre half) brought down to the College. The first time I actually played with Jeremy was an Arthur Dunn game in 1957, just after I had left school. When all 11 players had finally arrived in the changing room, our captain, Peter Watkins, announced “Ok, we are all here - who’s going to play in goal?”

    But it was not until 1961, when I had returned from abroad and was back in the swing of things once more, that cricket and not football bought us together on the occasion of a Privateers' cricket tour to Paris. I soon realised that it was not for his cricket that Jeremy was selected, but for his fantastic linguistic ability! I thought I was quite good having done modern languages at Lancing, but soon realised that Jeremy had worked out a much better way of communicating. You simply added an ‘o’ to all words. For example “More vino reddo!” and “Another gino tonico!” plus gestures. 

    But it is not about cricket or languages that I want to speak today… It is about Jeremy’s life-long love affair with the Lancing family and in particular the Lancing Old Boys Football Club. I had a chat with Chris Saunders, former team mate and then Head Master at Lancing, and I thought he summed it up perfectly. He said that Jeremy had Lancing written through him like Brighton through rock. 

    Jeremy was involved in just about every aspect of Lancing life. He supported all the OL events: lunches, club dinners and all manner of social functions. He had one mission in particular which is still outstanding and which was to persuade the OL society to fund a full Centenary Foundation Bursary in honour of the 179 OLs who died in the First World War. This is still work in progress, but I can assure you, Jeremy, that we will follow this through in the way that you would have wished. 

    However, it was the Old Boys Football Club that was his first love. Jeremy was a player, committee member, Secretary, Treasurer, Chairman, President and loyal supporter throughout. As a player he was – to put it mildly – committed! If you though Dave McKay was tough, you should have seen Jeremy. I have sought views from several of his contemporaries and opinion ranges from ‘uncompromising’ to ‘ferocious’ to ‘aggressive’ to ‘…he just went straight through people…’ 

    Charles Howe (CKH) sent me a note to say that he was honoured to have been part of the best Lancing school half back line ever. (When I say half back – for the younger ones this is the midfield.) The line up was: JMVT (Jeremy Taylor) -  DJW (Donald Wylie) – CKH (Charles Howe). Donald Wylie, who scored a century before lunch at Tonbridge in 1953 and was a member of Mensa. He was obviously the brains, like Bobby Moore! Charles Howe had the silky skills like Martin Peters and Jeremy was the enforcer – a Nobby Stiles with teeth! I have to add that Jeremy was a very good footballer and I never knew him to do anything but encourage those he played alongside. Saturday evening in those days would find us at the Dive Downstairs, opposite Big Ben.

    It was Jeremy’s duty as Secretary to phone in the result to the Hayter Agency. One day we had beaten the Old Etonians 6-1 and on hearing this result the operator declared “Now that’s a blow for the working classes”.

    I note that there are seven Presidents of the LOBFC here today. Surely a measure of respect for Jeremy. 

    Jeremy involved himself with the whole club, young and old. Always anonymous, I am aware that he insisted on helping the club with the extra cost of getting the recent leavers and university lads to come down and play and he always insisted on being included on the distribution list for all club e-mails. One of these was the weekly call to training at Battersea Park which is sent to 127 members including Jeremy. On one occasion the email reminded us that a very fit ladies' hockey team would again be on the next door pitch and that we should try to derive some inspiration from them. Jeremy emailed back that he was going out to buy some boots and would be there on the Wednesday.

    After our annual dinner at Stamford Bridge stadium (home of Chelsea FC) on 5 June this year, Jeremy wrote a letter of thanks to our President, saying how much he had enjoyed the evening. He wrote “…it was amongst the highlights of the many OL functions that I have attended over 62 years…” Then typically added “…I would like you to consider me as an anonymous donor for next year’s event". 

    Last month, on the 2 June, Jeremy played in the Privateers' annual golf get together in Aldeburgh. Then two days later he attended the LOBFC Dinner at Stamford Bridge and then a week later, a service and lunch at Lancing attended by 120 of the Oldest OLs, the over 75s. This was all in just one month and this is why he was a Lancing legend.

    Claire, our thanks to you for persevering with Jeremy in those early days of courtship. It can’t have been easy! You a Methodist teetotaller and Jeremy working for Truman’s Beers. You at the Academy of Music and he tone deaf. You loving rugby and he the round ball. You loving theatre and he films. You even allowed him to pop out in the middle of a film once to make a few calls from a public payphone just to be sure that the LOBs had 11 players on the following Saturday. 

    Claire, we all very much hope that you will continue to join us at Lancing functions in the future and particularly the football ones! We might even understand if occasionally you want to watch Henry at Saracens or perhaps at Twickenham playing for England. Jeremy would certainly love that!"

  • Andrew Clive Alexander, Teme 1948-1953 (July 2015)

    We were saddened to hear of the passing of Andrew Alexander OL in July 2015.

    Please click HERE to read Andrew's obituary in The Telegraph.

  • Peter 'Herbie' Harvey Earl, Gibbs' 1959-1963 (June 2015)

    Peter Harvey Earl

    Peter Harvey Earl (Gibbs’ 1959-63) died at home on 1 June after a typically brave fight against cancer.

    His passing left a massive void in so many lives. His beloved wife Jo whom he married in March 1973, his son Tom and daughter Jackie, his elder brother David – better known at Lancing as Terry (Gibbs’ 1956-60) - and younger brother Guy and all their related families. This is not to mention the many, many close friends and admirers who if listed would be too many to be accommodated here.

    As a contemporary at Lancing, Sir Tim Rice wrote: “I am so sorry to hear the sad news about Herbie. I shall always remember him as a delightful and cheerful fellow. I wish I had seen more of him over the years”. (You will need to read on for the explanation of the name change to Herbie!)

    As a young lad living in Cornwall Peter was an enthusiast for any game that involved a ball. As his brother David recalls, they spent hours together ruining the lawn of their parents' lovely home with long and hard-fought games of football and cricket, with Peter’s flowing skills with the bat often testing his brother’s patience as a bowler! But they had one special claim to fame - they once played football on that very lawn with none other than Stanley Matthews…

    When he first went to Lancing he was reluctant to reveal what the H in his initials stood for, so naturally his contemporaries chose one for him. “It must be Herbie” was the cry, and so Herbie he became to all those who knew him at Lancing. He was Herbie to us and our families from then and for always.

    He excelled at sport and played cricket and football at all levels including 1st XI football under the legendary Ken Shearwood. Living as he did in Cornwall, he made friends local to the College and made Worthing his second home for weekend exeats. Golf was, however, unquestionably his forte and he won the coveted Captain's Prize at Worthing Golf Club - more of golf later. 

    On leaving Lancing he determined to become qualified as a chartered accountant, but on doing so could not keep away from sport so he joined a pioneering sports management agency, the Bagnal Harvey Organisation, where he represented such sporting icons as Denis Compton and Jimmy Hill.

    Moving from London and having married Jo, he later joined Lewes-based accountants Knill James, where he remained until he retired in 2012. 

    His love of golf and his bond with Lancing led to many outstanding Halford Hewitt appearances. As close friend and often partner Chris Martin (Olds 1954-59) recalls: “Peter made some 36 appearances in Lancing’s Halford Hewitt side and I was delighted to have been his partner in ten of those years. Indeed I had the particular pleasure of partnering Peter in his very first Hewitt match in 1972. Lancing was drawn against Eton and one of our opponents was a Julian Earl who, on that cold and blustery day, appeared wearing a camel hair overcoat, removed for shot-playing, and with the Head Green Keeper of Royal St Georges as his caddy. I am delighted to report that, although Lancing went down 3/2, Peter was the happier ‘Earl’ and recorded the first of his many Hewitt wins. I also had the great pleasure of partnering Peter in Lancing’s memorable journey to the final in 1991, including victories over Uppingham, Fettes, Rossall, and Sherborne before succumbing by the narrowest of margins to Shrewsbury. Peter missed Lancing’s run to the last eight in 1998 for the very good reason that he was watching Earth Summit win the Grand National, but we assured him our money was on the right horse. In the early years Peter’s regular partner was Colin Herbert (Olds 1953-57) and that partnership continued on to the Mellin Salver with considerable success. The Lancing golfing fraternity has lost a great friend and mentor.”

    In further affections towards Lancing, Peter also served the OL Club as Hon Treasurer for many years.

    Like his father, he loved horse racing and this of course leads us to Earth Summit. Bought for 5,800 guineas in 1992 by the Summit Partnership - Peter, Ricky George, Gordon Perry, Mike Bailey, Bob Sims and Nigel Payne. What a marvellous time the horse gave them and in 1998 he won the biggest and best jump race in the world - the Grand National. He became and still is the only horse in history to win the Scottish, Welsh and English Nationals. He won none races and over £300,000 in prize money. Many yarns have been spun and tales told about this truly memorable experience. Surely he must be the only Grand National winner with two OLs as part-owners!

    Peter was also much loved in Ditchling where he graced the local cricket square. Below is an extract from the Club’s website which just about sums up the universal affection in which Peter was held:  

    “It was with great sadness that we received the news this that our President, Peter Earl, had passed away. A player and member for many decades, Peter was in love with Ditchling and in particular the cricket club. He lost his indomitable battle with cancer but it was a fight filled with grace and heart, much like his style of cricket. As the news broke tributes have come in from many members of our club.”

    "He was a real gentleman and a great sportsman. None better and deserved a much longer innings."

    "A great man who gave his all for the club."

    "Ditchling CC is truly indebted. He was a great man and we were lucky to have him."

    "He was such a good man and great supporter of our junior and senior sides."

    A regularly repeated theme of greatness.

    A service of thanksgiving was held on Wednesday 10 June when over 320 came to pay their respects – a case of standing room only in Ditchling Parish Church.

    Tributes flowed and the overriding mood was one of absolute affection.

    We were all truly honoured to have known and loved Peter Harvey (Herbie) Earl.

    Sleep well old friend.


    Nigel Payne (Sanderson’s 1959-63) 

  • Christopher 'Mark' Dadd, Teme 1957-1962 (May 2015)

    Mark Dadd passed away peacefully at home on 22 May 2015 after a long and courageous battle with leukaemia.

    After leaving Lancing in 1962 he went for a year’s VSO in Papua New Guinea, working in a village in the highlands with a tribe that had recently given up cannibalism!

    He received his bachelor's degree in agricultural economics from Nottingham University in 1967. While at university, he served as a pilot in the Royal Air Force Reserve. He attended the University of Wisconsin as a Fulbright scholar, earning a PhD in economics in 1973. During this time, he met and married his wife of 43 years, Diane.

    Mark enjoyed a fascinating and highly successful professional life. He was employed by the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food from 1972 to 1976 and then, until 1983, by the Downing Street Think Tank under Prime Minister James Callaghan and then Margaret Thatcher. He then moved to the Treasury and went to our Embassy in Washington DC to liaise with the World Bank and IMF during our troubled economic times.

    Mark moved employment to AT&T for many years in New Jersey, serving as chief economist from 1992 until his retirement. He also served as president of the US National Association of Business Economists.

    Mark was known for his sharp intellect, kindness, and wonderful sense of humour. 

  • Philip Dale, Manor 1928-1932 (March 2015)

    Philip Dale, who died aged 99 on 30 March 2015, shortly before the Royal Letter, was a distinguished old boy of Lancing College.

    Robin Birts with Philip Dale (right)

    Philip was born and brought up in Wimbledon, where he attended Rokeby Junior School before progressing to Lancing. At Lancing, he excelled at sports, notably swimming (in which he was a powerful short distance competitor), athletics and pole vaulting, a relatively new activity using the most primitive of equipment! Although not a highly academic student, Philip enjoyed his time at Lancing and was especially proud of his membership of Manor House, which was set apart from the main school buildings. He liked to recount school incidents and adventures, notably the time he and his friend Roy walked home from Lancing to Wimbledon at the end of one term, sleeping one night in a forest on the way back. Quite an accomplishment and one that remained vivid for him.

    Philip Dale (front left) with the Lancing College Swimming Team

    Before the start of the Second World War, Philip learnt to fly. He joined the RAF and spent his early war years in Canada, as a flying instructor. On his return to England he was promoted to Squadron Leader of 620 Bomber Squadron, flying Stirling bombers. He and his devoted crew proved to be a brave and successful unit. They took part in D-Day and Philip was awarded the Croix de Guerre for assisting the French guerrilla resistance movement by dropping supplies and weaponry amidst ant-aircraft fire. By all accounts he was something of a daredevil pilot and he recounts several hair-raising stories, including a forced flat-landing on Greenham Common Golf Course!




    After the war he married, and joined his father’s building company in Clapham, remaining there as a director until his retirement. He developed a long-held passion for sailing and could regularly be seen on the River Alde in Aldeburgh, Suffolk, with friends and family in his 23 foot ketch, ‘Thea’. One of his proudest achievements was sailing Thea down the east coast accompanied by one of his great friends, navigating around the mud flats, crossing the Channel and cruising triumphantly into Calais Harbour.

    Very sociable, he never turned down the offer of a party or a pub visit with friends.

    Right up until last year Philip enjoyed taking part in the annual Lancing luncheons for old boys, held in London or sometimes at Lancing itself. He found it amusing to discover, in latter years, that he was oldest old boy!

    He married twice, to Susan who was killed in a car crash in 1971 and to Pat who died in 2002. He is survived by his four children and 14 grandchildren from his first marriage. He and his family were close and all were truly thankful for his impeccable health and magnificent age.




  • Margaret Eleanora Blanchard Meyrick, Former Staff Member (March 2015)

    We were saddened to hear of the recent passing of Margaret Meyrick (November 1922-March 2015), wife of Henry 'Harry' Meyrick, former Housemaster of Teme House (1963-1970).

    An obituary will be shared here in due course.

  • David Smith, Field’s 1951–1957 (March 2015)

    His Honour David Smith QC (Field's 1951-1957)

    After obtaining a scholarship to Lancing College in 1951, David became Captain of School and invented the Ladywell Game which was immortalised by Pathe News and is still viewable now. He went on to Merton College, Oxford where he read Law and became the President of Oxford University Law Society. He was called to the Bar in 1962 and joined Chambers at 3 Pump Court, as a member of Middle Temple, taking Silk in 1982. He was appointed a Circuit Judge sitting in Bristol in 1986 (until 2004) and was the President of Council of Circuit Judges from 2000 to 2004.

    Away from the law David was also the Official Principal of Archdeaconry of Hackney from 1974 until his death, and with his keen love of beekeeping was the Secretary of the Bee Research Association (later in 1976 to become The International Bee Research Association) from 1963-2004. As a result of his passion he had published John Evelyn's Manuscript on Bees from Elysium Britannicum (1996); Bibliography of British Bee Books 1500-1976 (1979); and Bees and The Law with David Frimstom (1993).

    He died peacefully at home on 30 March 2015 and will be sadly missed.

  • Sheppard Sunderland 'Sam' Frere, CBE, FBA, Master 1945–1954 (February 2015)

    We were saddened to hear that Sheppard Sunderland ‘Sam’ Frere, CBE, FBA sadly passed away on 25 February 2015.

    Sheppard Frere's Obituary - The Guardian

  • Tim Goodwin, Gibbs’ 1952–1957 (February 2015)

    Tim entered Gibbs’ House as an exhibitioner. During his school years, Tim was Head of House, Captain of the School, Captain of Cricket and a member of the very successful squash team. He read Classics at A Level and, being encouraged to consider a military career, was promoted to Under Officer in the OTC. However, fortunately for the world of medicine, he switched to do three more science A Levels and was admitted to St Mary’s Hospital Medical School in the footsteps of his father and older brother David and where he was followed by his three younger brothers, Peter, Philip and Paul. 

    After distinguished student and post-graduate training years working on the professorial medical unit at St Mary’s Hospital Medical School, he was appointed consultant physician at Mount Vernon and Harefield Hospitals.  He was an outstanding clinician, renowned for his teaching of junior doctors and other medical staff. He became Senior Examiner and Censor to the Royal College of Physicians.

    In his retirement, Tim pursued his love of photography and gardening and, when no longer able to play, watched cricket at Lord’s. 

    He is survived by his wife Hilary (also a doctor) and two sons, one of whom is a cardiac surgeon. 

    Peter Goodwin 

  • Michael Mason, Sanderson's 1960-1965 (February 2015)

    Michael Mason, born March 5 1947, died February 1 2015.

    Please follow the link to read Michael's obituaries:

    Michael Mason's Obituary (The Telegraph 9 February 2015)

    Michael Mason's Obituary (The Guardian, 16 February 2015)

    Michael Mason's Obituary (The Times, 4 March 2015)

    Remembering Michael Mason

    Andrew Lumsden (Olds 1955-1959) writes: I’ve lost a friend of 35 years with the death at 67 on I February 2015 of Michael Mason (Sanderson’s 1960-1965). Those of our contemporaries who weren’t lucky enough to remain in touch with him will now be well aware of his unique contribution to British and even to Californian life from his obituaries in the national press (see on this site the Guardian, the Independent and the Daily Telegraph). I missed encountering him at Lancing by one year, for I was in Olds from 1955-1959, but he did coincide with my youngest brother David Lumsden (Olds 1963-1968), whom some may remember as a talented cricketer.

    In his last months Michael longed to see the famous 1978 Rose Window of the College Chapel, where he was in the Choir, but was never well enough for us to take him. The Head Master’s staff promised a fine welcome and that they’d take every care of him.

    Great fun has been had in the national newspapers about his leisure activities beneath the dais in Great School, but it’s a tribute to his 21 years as a campaigning journalist – I should correctly write the campaigning journalist - managing, owning and editing gay papers from 1974-1981, that even revered Lancing has enjoyed the joke.

    By the time he was 19 in 1966 he had for years been a habitual criminal in the eyes of the law, as the famous Alan Turing (Sherborne 1926-1931) was until his death in 1954. When Michael reached 20 the Church backed the House of Lords and the Commons in a partial decriminalisation of adult gay men (1967 Sexual Offences Act) but he remained personally illegal for another year, for the Act prescribed that gay men must reach 21 before they could take a lover or in any other way engage physically with one another.

    All that nonsense has been swept aside in the Britain of today, not least because of Michael Mason OL. We met when I too was a campaigning journalist and for a brief period (1981-1983) two out of the three principal providers of accurate information for young LGBT people in Britain were Lancing College Old Boys. The third provider, Michael’s colleague Graham McKerrow, was an Old Boy of the Dragon School, Oxford (1962-1966).

    Michael supported the Albert Kennedy Trust, which helps LGBT 16-25 year olds who are made homeless or are living in a hostile environment. Donations in Michael’s memory can be made via the trust site at or by post to the Albert Kennedy Trust, Unit 112, Cremer Business Centre, Cremer St, London E2 8HD.

  • Duncan Charles Edward Abbott, Gibbs' 1982-1986 (January 2015)

    Duncan Abbott



    Mary McGuire (Manor 1984-1986) writes:
    What to say about Duncan? Not so much a case of where to start as where to stop.

    Duncan was one of my best mates. He was part of the family scenery for a long time before we actually met as he was in my dad's House at Lancing and our families had been friends for generations. I would hear his name bandied about (along with others). Our paths crossed many times at school; Duncan and I were cartoonists for the school magazine and he was in my art set. He used to turn up for our art class on Saturday mornings with a full Mohican hairstyle, ready to go to Brighton for the afternoon. As someone who wanted a blue Mohican but never quite had the heart to do it to my parents, I always admired him for this.
    It was after I left school, when the two of us were living in London that our friendship really blossomed. I think both of us bonded through an eccentricity, and possibly a love of cars, which could make us feel like very square pegs, and the world like an extremely round hole!

    So, these are the words that speak of Duncan, to me:

    Duncan was very witty, in an engagingly irreverent way, and not afraid to prick the hide of the pompous. He made me and many others laugh. Lots. Indeed, one of my enduring memories of Duncan is the high guffaw quotient of any time we spent together.

    If Duncan was into something, it was impossible not to get carried away with his enthusiasm. I remember visiting him in Sussex just after he'd bought an E-Type. As we drove down a country lane he found a straight and shouted gleefully, "Watch this!" He proceeded to floor the accelerator, guffawing madly as he did so. It was like taking off in a rocket. He was also sensible though, because when I retorted with a, "Go on then! Faster, faster!" He told me there was a bend coming up and slowed down.

    Duncan was effervescent and he knew how to throw a dinner party, which he often did. Usually, after stuffing ourselves with wine and the food he and Lucy had cooked, we'd play a few rounds of the board game, 'Risk'. Many is the time I remember playing late into the night. Usually we'd give up and go home at about 3.00am. We all cheated, decimating the armies of anyone who'd been unwise enough to go to the bathroom by removing half their pieces from the board while they were gone. Nobody ever won because nobody's bladder was strong enough to achieve world domination.

    Duncan was generous with everything. I remember during my time in London, when I was about to move into a new flat and the deal fell through. I had a month with nowhere to stay. Duncan was one of the most supportive of my friends over that time, letting me store a load of my stuff in his tiny flat – and leave my car parked outside – when he had very little room for either.

    Intelligent and a little rebellious:
    Duncan was very bright – prodigiously intelligent, in fact. I mentioned this to my dad who said, “Dear Duncan, he was such a naughty boy. It was because he was so intelligent of course! He got bored. If you were teaching Duncan, you needed to engage him. He was one of the brightest lads I ever taught.” Tom Griffiths, our art teacher, also thought similarly.

    Duncan was unfailingly kind to me. Always. I remember in art class, Griffiths saying,
    "It's no good trying to pretend you’re a hard man Abbott, not with those hands, they're the hands of a pianist not a Hell's Angel." This used to make Duncan guffaw both at the time, and when recounting it afterwards. (Griffiths always referred to Duncan as a 'Hell's Angel'. Despite being an art teacher with a goth for a daughter, it seemed he didn't really understand about punk).

    Duncan had been through some pretty heavy stuff and although it affected him, deeply, one of the things that amazed me, throughout the time I knew him, was the courage and pragmatism with which he attempted to deal with it. He just put his head down and tried to get on with his life.

    Sure, he could be mercurial, pig-headed and he didn’t suffer fools gladly! What's more he could be spiky, difficult and childish (although he was never like that to me). But he was also kind, generous, lively, funny and brim full of energy and joie de vivre. He was a larger than life character and a true and loyal friend. I thought about him or (since his heart attack) prayed for him most days. He was my friend and I loved him. I will miss him.

    One thing is certain, whatever Duncan is doing now, there will be laughter, and lots of it.



  • Charles 'Jack' Hunter Ian Purser, Olds 1966-1970 (January 2015)

    Charles 'Jack' Purser (Olds 1966–1970) died on 22 January 2015.

    Charles qualified as a solicitor and specialised in shipping and later aviation, for which he needed to get his pilot’s licence. He worked in London for several years.

    He had close family connections with South Africa and Australia, and spent time in both countries.

    He was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and in due course he returned to his family home in Charlwood, Surrey. He did not take easily to his loss of independence and life in a wheelchair as the disease progressed. His last four years were spent in residential care.

    Charles became seriously ill in December and died peacefully in hospital a few weeks later.

  • Leonard Anthony Wheeler, Olds 1933-1937 (January 2015)

    Leonard Anthony Wheeler (Olds 1933-1937) father of N L ( Olds 1963-1968), brother of J P (Olds 1923-1929), uncle of M J (Sanderson's 1965-1970).

    Tony cared little for his school days and such was his preferment for the family farm that on one occasion he sneakily altered the '3' to an '8' on the school letter announcing the next term's dates. It took his Housemaster three days to discover that he hadn't turned up. He recounted with amusement his experience of driving his father's car up the Lancing drive at the start of a new term aged 14 and hoping that his friends would see him, but not the staff!

    He particularly enjoyed games of squash after Chapel with the Chaplain (also named Wheeler). Initially he wondered how his opponent was always on court ready and practising by the time he arrived; such, he discovered was the benefit of cassock concealment!

    In 1937, keen to move on, he took up Head Master Blackiston's suggestion that he should join a group of 20 public school boys from 20 different schools under the flag of the Royal Empire Society circumnavigating the world, main destination New Zealand. As the only farmer's son on the trip and having a disgraced uncle deported to the colony to visit, he thoroughly enjoyed this enterprising experience and kept a fascinating diary of notes and photographs.

    Call up papers followed his return to UK: first to the Royal West Kent Regiment, then the Officers Training with the Artists Rifle Brigade and on to the East Yorks Regiment taking him out to Egypt. He contracted desert sores, was moved to Abyssinia and arranged the repatriation of Italian citizens for two years. Thence he went to Kenya where he met his future wife, Joan. Finally he was sent to Eisenhower's Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force in Versailles.

    With the war over he took his new bride back to Kent and he joined the family farming business growing hops, apples, pears and cereals in East Peckham. He was a parish councillor for 27 years (Chairman for 17), and also a local district councillor for 17 years. He was always interested in local and national politics. In the past he was a keen skier, tennis player and cricket follower. He swam regularly and always remained healthy, fit, active, and interested in farm activities.

    He bought a new Mercedes in November and was planning a trip to Ireland in the spring to visit his mother's birth place and an inspection of T C Fiducia's (Field’s 1962-1968) new farm on the Rutland/Lincolnshire border for his impending 96th birthday on 30 January 2015.

    A widower for 15 years, he leaves sons, Christopher and Nigel and five grandchildren. His daughter Heather (St Michael's 1964-1970) died in 1996



  • Richard Meade, OBE, Olds 1952-1957 (January 2015)

    We were saddened to hear of the death of Richard Meade, OBE, Olds 1952-1957. Richard followed his father to Lancing and went on to read Engineering at Magdalene College, Cambridge. As has been widely reported in the newspapers Richard was an outstanding horseman and Britain’s most successful Olympian in three-day eventing.

    Click to read Richard's obituary in the following newspapers:

    The Daily Mail

    The Telegraph

    The Independent

  • Trevor Foulkes, Master 1958-1965 (December 2014)

    Trevor Foulkes – 1931-2014

    Lancing was Trevor’s first school where he was a member of the English Department from 1958-1965, followed by two years spent teaching in Kenya. He returned to England to various teaching posts before taking up his career-defining position as Headmaster at Caistor Grammar School.

    The following was written by Donald Bancroft in the Lancing College Magazine, Summer 1965:

    'Most people would agree that no young master has made a greater impact on Lancing than has Trevor Foulkes, in the course of seven crowded years. Though fortified in the great Oxford schools of classical Mods and Greats he has made his finest contribution through his enthusiastic teaching of English. For him literature has not been merely a specialist study, or a sidelong venture into escapism. Literature has been taught for the sake of life; the works of great poets, novelists and dramatists have been held before our eyes as torches illuminating the moral values by which we live. Trevor, besides being able to inspire and guide the abler boys, has led the slower brethren by the hand, scattering in their way a profuse harvest of Banda sheets covered with useful notes. (The story that the Prime Minister of Malawi is angling for his services is purely apocryphal).

    The inception of the General Studies Course for the Sixth Form gave him a fresh opportunity to exercise his powers of organisation and vision, and it is to a large extent due to him that the school has had during the last four years a succession of distinguished visiting lecturers. He has also lectured vigorously himself and has provided the dynamic which has caused several of his colleagues to lecture. Books and pamphlets have descended upon us in a steady stream. Parties have been organised to attend theatres, political meetings, debates. The microcosm of Lancing has been opened up to a wider social and political environment.

    Trevor has touched the life of the school at so many points that it is almost tedious to enumerate them. Debating Society, Elizabethans, Scouts, Social Services - to these and many other activities he has made an outstanding contribution. And somehow he has found time to take part in local affairs, in particular as President of the Lancing Branch of the United Nations Organisation.

    We shall remember him for what he has done, but perhaps we shall remember him more for what he is. He exemplifies the great Roman virtues of gravitas and pietas. He is serious in the best sense of the word, but has endeared himself to his colleagues and pupils by his ability to laugh at himself, by his modesty and utter freedom from affectation. If we have wanted to understand what Christianity in action means, we have known where to look.
    Lancing’s loss is Kenya’s gain.’

    Full details of Trevor’s distinguished career can be found in the Address given by the Headmaster of Caistor Grammar School, Roger Hale.

    Roger Hale's Address (PDF, 60KB)

  • Christopher John Spencer Crawford, Sanderson’s 1946–1951 (November 2014)
  • Thomas Ferguson ‘Fergus’ Buckingham, Sanderson’s 1948-1953 (August 2014)

    Thomas Ferguson Buckingham 8 September 1934 – 6 August 2014.


    Chris Buckingham (Second’s 1987–1987) writes: Fergus Buckingham (Sanderson’s 1948-1953) died peacefully, after an extended battle with cancer, aged 79 years. A lifelong learner and teacher, Fergus was inspired by his time at Lancing. He was not the most diligent of scholars when he first arrived, but he was an enthusiastic chorister and the Chapel quickly became a favourite place. He developed a passion for the natural sciences. His teachers, in particular Dr Goodier and Bill Dovell, deserve much credit.

    Fergus’s love of Bach, organ music, radio, radar and things that go ping remained constant throughout his life.

    After completing National Service and gaining a degree from Cambridge he taught at Denstone College for more than 20 years. He married Elizabeth-Anne (née Palmer). They had four children Zoe, Christopher (Second's 1987), Edward and Sebastian. He seemed destined to serve Denstone College all his days, until the family made the brave decision to emigrate to Australia in 1980.

    Fergus maintained a connection with Lancing for many years after he left. He helped lead a walk between Denstone and Lancing in 1973, celebrating the centenary anniversary of the formation of Denstone College. He also billeted members of a Lancing College Cricket tour at his home in Melbourne in 1986. It was then he and Alan Evans-Jones (staff) hatched a plan to send his son Christopher to Lancing for two terms in the Upper Sixth. This resulted in a memorable cultural exchange for all concerned!

    Fergus was never one to pursue the limelight, he successfully flew under the radar doing what he was best at right up until six months before he died. His teaching career spanned 55 years, he imbued thousands of people in England and Australia with his love of learning. His old lecture theatre at Denstone College is still called Buckingham Palace - a fine testament to his contribution. He lived a full and rich life nourished by the achievements of others. He knew the power of knowledge was in the sharing.


  • Robert Andrew Fox-Robinson, Field's 1954-1959 (August 2014)

    Andrew was born on 11 December 1940, during the blitz. He was the oldest son of Wilfred Henry Fox-Robinson, chaplain RNVR (Clerk in Holy Orders) and Mary Jane Fox-Robinson. While Wilfred was at sea, Jane lived with her guardians, The Reverend Andrew Nugee and his wife Elizabeth. Whilst with them, Jane left her new born baby by the fire – too close in Uncle Andrew’s opinion. He left a note on Andrew reminding Jane that babies are hard to come by in wartime and not to leave this one so close to the fire! Uncle Andrew was a huge influence on Andrew as he grew up, insisting he listen to the daily news, which Andrew continued to do throughout his life. 

    Andrew and his mother Jane lived with other relatives during Andrew’s father’s time at sea, including Irene Staunton in Leicester. Irene owned a goat, which Andrew let off its tether on numerous occasions, each time with the goat eating the roses. He started primary school in Church Stretton, Shropshire. Later Andrew and Anne spent holidays with their young sons here, walking on the Long Mynd and building dams to stop and divert the streams. 

    Andrew went on to Eastbourne Prep and then won a scholarship to Lancing College. He enjoyed classics, history and music; sailed, boxed and played chess for the school. Andrew was Head of House, became a Queen’s scout and as a post A-Level activity, built the amphitheatre, later to be opened by Agatha Christie and her husband, Max Mallowan (Head’s 1918–1921)

    He left Lancing to teach at Bembridge School on the Isle of Wight and then Trinity College Dublin, where he gained History and Law degrees. At university, he organised an International History conference in Cork, loved sailing in Dublin Bay and totally immersed himself in international affairs. Andrew went on to join the highly respected law firm Slaughter and May in London, taking his law exams from Guildford Law School. He then moved to Debenhams (a smaller, family-run law firm), before starting his own firm. 

    While living in London, Andrew started a bridge club, taught law at evening school and joined the Honour Artillery Company. He so enjoyed firing the 21 gun salute on the Thames towpath (opposite the Tower of London) for the Queen’s birthday. 

    Andrew met Anne skiing in Zermatt. They married and Andrew moved from London to Cambridge, as Anne was a registrar in Oral Surgery at Addenbrookes, which involved alternate nights and weekends on call. They had three sons: Richard, John and William. From law, he moved into a property company, which was later hit by the recession. 

    Andrew was dedicated to his family. He spent hours raising money for all the fundraising activities his sons undertook: two London marathons and one cycle ride from John O'Groats to Land’s End for a brain tumour charity. Over the last 15 years, Andrew spent a considerable time looking after the ageing members of his and Anne’s families, ensuring their financial security and physical comfort. He won a substantial case for his brother-in-law against his former business partners and was also invaluable in sorting out numerous probates. With no equine knowledge, Andrew ran and improved the horse livery business left to the family after Anne’s sister’s death.

    Andrew was an avid reader. He regularly read The Times or the Financial Times, money facts, law journals and serious history. As part of the European Studies group in Cambridge he read the recommended book list and attended weekly seminars during term time. 

    Andrew enjoyed rigging and launching sailing boats. He spent hours on the touch line for rugby and hockey and supported the Cambridge University Rugby club, watching their weekly matches. Every year he took a large group of friends to the Varsity match at Twickenham. He attended St John’s College Chapel for Sunday services, enjoying the sermons and the choir. On Christmas Day and at Easter, he loved the services at King’s College. He also enjoyed researching his family history, visiting villages in Lincolnshire and Derbyshire where they had lived. 

    As Secretary of the Trinity College Dublin Graduates Association Cambridge, he organised two meetings each year with topical speakers. He helped to set up a charity called Ibis Initiative for Anglo-Irish scholarships. 

    Andrew always fought for what he thought was right against all adversity. He was involved with the local planning to get the very best results to the highest building standards and attempted to protect the village church and to ensure both facilities and health and safety were in place. His wife Anne had opportunities to travel and these he supported, running the home and being available for the boys while she was away. 

    Andrew so enjoyed his school days at Lancing and had a great love for the Chapel, views from the school and the lifelong values that Lancing instilled. 

    Anne Fox-Robinson

  • Michael Hubbard QC, Second’s 1955–1959 (July 2014)

    Michael Hubbard QC

    The following is an excerpt from:

    The Members of One Paper Buildings have been saddened to learn that Michael Hubbard QC passed away on 17th July 2014. He will be missed greatly.

    Michael was a qualified Solicitor for six years before being called to the Bar and joining Chambers over 40 years ago. He was Head of Chambers for over ten years, during which time he presided over a period of change and challenge to both Chambers and the profession with dignity and compassion. He only recently relinquished the role to spend more time with his family.

    After converting to the Bar Michael practised on the Western Circuit taking silk after just 13 years. As a junior and in silk he was a charismatic jury advocate and thoroughly deserved his description in the Chambers & Partners Directory as being 'extremely able' and possessing 'tremendous flair as a natural advocate.'

    His prodigious talent was evidenced by the cases he was instructed in. He acted for famous clients and in high profile cases ranging from the late Mary Whitehouse through to the Fallon race fixing trial and the Soham murder trial, where he secured Maxine Carr’s acquittal of murder. In that case, as David Pannick QC reminded us in his recent article in The Times, he famously quoted but sadly did not sing Engelbert Humperdinck’s Please Release Me. Michael was standing counsel for the Inland Revenue on the Western Circuit before taking silk and whilst in silk successfully acted in the first joint prosecution by the Inland Revenue and Serious Fraud Office, following his successful prosecution of the Directors of Swindon Town Football club for tax fraud.  After those cases his reputation was such that he was regularly instructed upon serious fraud cases, a recent example of which was the Hackney election fraud trial.

    His expertise was marked annually in the various Legal Directories, being recognised as a leading criminal advocate who was instructed in high profile cases across the country. His easy manner with so many of us was reflected in his relaxed style of Jury advocacy. This relaxed style lulled many into a false sense of security: it belied what commentators stated was a 'razor sharp intellect', combined with an attitude described recently by the Independent newspaper as that of an advocate 'who would leave no stone unturned' in assisting his client.

    He leaves behind his colleagues at the Bar and amongst the Higher Judiciary, many of whom became close friends and will long remember his love of laughter, fine wines and sailing. His loss will be felt acutely by all members of Chambers and his family, to whom we join in sending our deepest commiserations.

    Karim S Khalil QC
    Head of Chambers, One Paper Buildings

  • Michael Hughes, Second’s 1945–1949 (June 2014)

    Michael Hughes

    Rupert Hughes (Second’s 1948–1953) writes: After leaving Second’s in 1948 as Head of House, Michael was commissioned during National Service in the Royal Army Education Corps. This set him on his career as a teacher for 40 years or so. He was well liked by his pupils, many of whom kept up with him in later life. After nearly 20 years of retirement in Field Dalling, Norfolk, he died on 9 June 2014 aged 82.

    After reading Greats at Worcester College, Oxford, Michael entered the teaching profession. In 1960 he took up his third post, a House Tutor at Gresham's Junior School in Holt, coupled with Classics teaching in the Senior School. In 1965 Michael was promoted to Housemaster and then Headmaster.

    In 1978 he left Gresham's for St Wilfred's, Seaford as Headmaster. His final post was as Director of Studies at St Andrew's, Eastbourne, from which he retired in 1995.

    As a Field Dalling resident he played an active role in local life. For some years he was Treasurer of the Holt and Neighbourhood Housing Society as well as Treasurer of the Field Dalling 200 club. He was a volunteer with Glaven Caring and a Summer Fete stalwart.

    His funeral was in Field Dalling church on 23 June. The service was taken by The Revd Peter Bowles who described Michael as reserved and self-effacing, but full of ability conscientiousness and humour whilst also possessing a great love of music. He would have appreciated Purcell's Thou Knowest Lord sung by Gresham's choristers. Tributes from fellow teachers were read.


  • Major Patrick Duncan Garway-Templeman, Sanderson’s 1947–1952 (March 2014)

    Major Patrick Duncan Garway-Templeman (Sanderson’s 1947–1952) – March 2014
    'P D Evans'

    20 September 1933 - 18 March 2014


    Patrick was born in Bridgwater, Somerset, second son to Molly and John Templeman and later adopted, aged seven, by Group Captain C A H Evans (Hugh) who had married his mother Molly in 1938. Tragically Hugh was killed in 1942 while on active service in the East, but those brief years of connection left a lasting impression on the young boy.

    Patrick was educated at Seafield preparatory school and then at Lancing College where Hugh had been schooled. His education at Lancing was paid for by the RAF Benevolent Fund and Patrick was followed there by his half-brother Nick, a short time after Patrick himself had left.

    His time at Lancing was a happy one, boarding in Sanderson's House under the care of Basil Handford. His memories of those times, apart from long bouts standing next to the radiators in Great School having been jettisoned from language classes, was being taught the intricacies of the Lee-Enfield .303 on the grass outside the Chapel and long walks over the South Downs with his more adventurous contemporaries. Due in no small part to the time spent contemplating his future next to the trusty radiators and to the dismay of those charged with his education he took his Civil Service exams and entered RMA Sandhurst. From there he was commissioned into the Royal Sussex Regiment before transferring to the Royal Corps of Signals. 

    In 1958 following a Mess night while serving in Germany, he and a young Pakistani officer decided to drive from Dusseldorf to Lahore in a new Ford Anglia reasoning it would be cheaper than trying to import it into the country. They left Germany on 8 July and, after many breakdowns but with their humour intact, reached Lahore on 19 August. He then went on to serve for two years in Malaya before returning to Germany in 1961.

    Patrick married Catharine in 1963 and was conveniently posted to British Guiana before the arrival of their first child. He enjoyed all the lone sports of gliding, free fall parachuting and orienteering, passing his love of the open air and outdoor pursuits to his offspring at every opportunity. The hills and rocks of all postings becoming the excuse for many a picnic.

    Lancing remained an important factor in Patrick's life and having settled in Hampshire during the mid-70s it became the obvious choice to send his own son Hugh there to experience a part of what he himself had so fondly remembered. The magic worked and 31 years later he had great pleasure in dropping his two eldest grandsons off to start their own journeys at the school.

    In August 2013, Patrick celebrated his golden wedding anniversary with Catharine who, with their three children, Hugh, Charlotte and Philippa, survives him.


  • Colin Edward James Dowrick, Sanderson’s 1943-1948 (February 2014)

    Colin Edward James Dowrick (Sanderson’s 1943-1948) died February 2014 aged 84.

    Colin came with his twin, Christopher (and following their brother David), to Lancing in the days of Ludlow. Sanderson’s were in the civilized circumstances of Ashford Court, with its village and our 'borrowed' butler, Mr Bloomfield. The river Teme ran through the garden. We lived 'en famille' with Basil and Betty Handford and their children, and Colin kept chickens.

    Normality came with our return to Lancing. Colin read sciences, greatly assisted by Dr Barbara Russell-Wells. He resurrected the St Nicolas Press, starting by collecting together all the types which had been mixed and strewn all over the floor. He also sang tenor in the choir and so took part in the Centenary first performance of Britten’s St Nicolas Cantata. As well as singing, Colin played the organ in Chapel, even for the final rehearsal for the St Nicolas.

    While he always loved his football, and played well, he excelled in and was Captain of cross country running. In those days the Five Mile concluded over and through the dykes, the last of which was deep. Leading the field in a match, he would leap in and crawl across under the water to the consternation of the under schools positioned to assist. He could not swim!

    After National Service he went to Selwyn College, Cambridge and read Natural Sciences. Upon finishing he taught, first at Epsom then at Dover College, where he became Head of the Science Department.

    While at Dover he met and married Anne and so began a long and happy marriage. They had two children, Philip and Claire, and five grandchildren. At the time of his death he was much looking forward to the birth of a great-grandchild.

    In retirement in Somerset he joined his brother Christopher in their enthusiastic running of the West Somerset Railway.

    He even took up printing again - tickets! 

  • David Hutchings, Second’s 1955-1959 (February 2014)

    David Hutchings 1941-2014

    Charles Pressley (Sandersons 1956-1960) writes: David and I had known each other since childhood, living only two roads apart from each other. We attended Broadwater Manor House Prep School, until he moved to Sompting Abbotts, but then met again at Lancing College. David was in Second’s House while I was across the Quad in Sanderson’s.

    Our mutual interest in all sports brought us together both as opponents in House competitions or jointly in school teams. David was a fine cricketer as well as playing football and other sports. His love of sport continued throughout his life, supporting Brighton & Hove Albion and Portsmouth and following cricket and playing golf.

    After leaving Lancing, David qualified as a solicitor and became a partner with the firm that is now Thomas Eggar, so our paths touched again as we were both established in business in Worthing. Together we were members of Worthing Round Table and then West Worthing Rotary. David’s professional knowledge, intellect and wit (sometimes mischievous) enlivened many a debate.

    David was President of Worthing Law Society in 1987, a Governor of Angmering School for many years and his legacy is still continued by his fellow Rotarians. He sadly had to retire at the age of 50 due to deteriorating health through Parkinson’s disease, but still retained his very engaging personality and smile. He was the kindest of men and a real gentleman until his untimely death in 2014. Judi, his wife of nearly 50 years and children Sally, Martin, Anthony and Richard (the boys also were at Lancing) are very much in our thoughts.        


  • John Edward Knight Sylvester, Gibbs' 1946–1950 (July 2016)

    We were saddened to hear of the passing of John Sylvester OL (Gibbs', 1946–1950), in July 2016.

    The following obituaries are shared here with the kind permission of John's family.

    Eulogy - John Sylvester (PDF)

    Crossways Eulogy - John Sylvester (PDF)

Lancing College, Lancing, West Sussex BN15 0RW | Contact | Terms