Mowden School, as Lancing Prep at Hove was originally known, was founded by Mr B A Snell at Mowden Hall, in Essex, in 1896. In 1901, it moved to Lansdowne Place, Hove and in 1913 moved again to its present site. Mr Edward Snell took over from his father in 1937 and, on his death in 1973, his son, Christopher, became Head Master.
In September 2002, the School passed into the care of Lancing College, with Mr Alan Laurent taking over from Mr Snell as Head Master. This also marked the arrival of girls at what had previously been an all boys' school.
Although the house was purpose built as a preparatory school in 1913 by Christopher Snell’s grandfather, there has been a continuing programme of modernisation and development, with highlights of recent years being a science laboratory, art and design technology room, ICT rooms and a new nursery. A brand new school hall is in the process of construction and is scheduled for completion in autumn 2017.
Mowden School became Lancing College Preparatory School in September 2005; in January 2014 it was renamed Lancing College Preparatory School at Hove, following the addition of Lancing Prep at Worthing to the College family of schools.
The school's current Head Mistress, Mrs Kirsty Keep, was appointed following Alan Laurent's retirement in August 2016.