Lancing College Preparatory School is an independent Nursery, Pre-Preparatory and Preparatory School for approximately 240 children between the ages of 3 and 13.
The Head Master is a member of the Incorporated Association of Preparatory Schools.
Mowden School, as it was originally known, was founded by Mr B A Snell at Mowden Hall, in Essex, in 1896. In 1901, it moved to Lansdowne Place, Hove and in 1913 moved again to its present site. Mr Edward Snell took over from his father in 1937 and, on his death in 1973, his son, Christopher, became Head Master.
In September 2002, the School passed into the care of Lancing College and the current Head Master, Mr Alan Laurent, took over from Mr Snell. Although the house was purpose built for a Preparatory school in 1913 by Christopher Snell’s grandfather, there has been a continuing programme of modernisation and development, with highlights of recent years being a Science laboratory, Art and Design Technology room, ICT rooms and the recent acquisition of a new Nursery.
In addition to two dedicated IT rooms, each classroom has an interactive whiteboard and there is a well-equipped Science laboratory, Art and Technology room and an attractive Library. Spacious sports fields surround the School, which accommodate pitches for all the main games and sports, including an all-weather Astroturf area. Prep school pupils are also fortunate to be able to share the magnificent facilities of Lancing College.
Mowden School became Lancing College Preparatory School (or Lancing College Prep as it is known) in September 2005.