Whilst we are waiting to hear whether our local stonemasons from Chichester Stoneworks will be able to start work on the outside of the Chapel in the coming months, we can update members of the Lancing community on the fundraising efforts of The Friends of Lancing Chapel and Lancing College.
The Campaign to complete the west end of Lancing Chapel was officially launched last September to raise the remaining £350,000 of the £1.2m target. We are pleased to report that in total over £1,088m has been raised so far, leaving the Campaign with just over £100,000 left to raise.
Work for the project has been ongoing since October. Stone procurement has been completed at the quarry in Somerset; vast blocks of limestone have been taken to the masons at Chichester Stoneworks, where they are being sawn to the required size. Several pallets of ashlar have already arrived at the College, and many more are planned to be delivered in the upcoming weeks, including profiled stone. They are stored here until construction on site commences; this was planned to start in April 2020.
Building of Lancing Chapel, the largest school chapel in the world, commenced in 1868, with the dedication taking place in 1911. However, the west end of the building was only built in 1978, with the glorious rose window dedicated by the Archbishop of Canterbury in the presence of HRH The Prince of Wales.
Now, after 153 years since the laying of its foundation stone, the west end will be finally completed with the addition of an elegant three-arched porch and glass doors. The project, led by architect Michael Drury, aims to ‘tidy up’ the west end whilst maintaining the style and quality of the existing building.