The Chapel’s History – A Timeline
The timeline below highlights the key stages of the Chapel’s history
25 April 2022
Completed Chapel is reopen to visitors again

23 April 2022
Dedication of the completed Chapel

November 2020
Completion of the main structure

March 2020
Work commences on site

November 2019
Masonry work begins off site

September 2019
Contract signed with Chichester Stoneworks
September 2019
Launch of the public campaign

2019
Neil Holland's impression of Michael Drury's design to complete the west wall, to be built by 2021

2018
Michael Drury's design for a three-arched porch

2017
Michael Drury commissioned to produce new scheme

2017
Blind tracery in west arches

2011
Sir Robert Woodard lays a foundation stone

1992
North porch dedicated in memory of Basil Handford

1986
Organ reinstated on west gallery

1978
West wall and rose window dedicated

1950s
Artist's impression of Dykes Bower's solution, seen from the north-west.

1947
Stephen Dykes Bower's design for the west end

1946
The Friends of Lancing Chapel founded
1930s
Tapestries designed by Amy Chilston and woven on the William Morris looms for the apse

1928
Sir George Oatley's design for the west end

1921-26
War Memorial Cloister built and dedicated

1920s
Installation of Gilbert Scott stall canopies and other furnishings

1911
Chapel dedicated

c1911
West end boarded up

1910
Laying the floor of the Chapel

1905-1910
Chapel nearing completion except for the west end link to the school

1890-1900
Windows, buttresses and roofs being constructed from east to west

1885
RH Carpenter's & W Slater's design for the west end
1875
Crypt taken into use as school chapel1875

1868
Chapel Foundation Stone laid

1848
S Mary & S Nicolas College founded by The Revd Nathaniel Woodard


