We are proud of our history and, as a member of the Lancing College family of schools, look forward to an exciting future.
You will find out more about our school as it is today from this website and we invite you to visit us to find out more.
The present school buildings have undergone many improvements and additions over the years. Recent additions include a brand new school hall with modern kitchen facilities, an expanded and more centrally located school library and a more welcoming reception area. In 2019, the Pre-School moved to a newly configured learning space in the heart of the school and the Music Department moved to the former bungalow with wonderful facilities for class music lessons and individual tuition on instruments and voice.
The school became known as Lancing College Preparatory School at Hove in January 2014, following the addition of Lancing Preparatory School at Worthing (formerly Broadwater Manor) to the College family of schools.
The school building today has undergone many improvements and additions, including the acquisition of a neighbouring bungalow in 2013 which was transformed into a new space for the Nursery.
The school became Lancing College Preparatory School in September 2002, having previously been known as Mowden School. Head Master Christopher Snell retired and so 2002 marked the arrival both of Mr Laurent as Head Master and of girls at what had been an all boys’ school.
The Pre-Prep department was opened in 1997 and moved from being a boarding & day school to a purely day school in 1999.
Head master Christopher Snell was the third generation of the Snell family to run the school, having taken over from his father Edward in 1973. The Snell family association with the school is being renewed in 2017, when Sarah Snell, who grew up with her family living in the school, returned to teach here from September 2017 in the Prep Department.
Edward Snell had succeeded his father as Head Master in 1937.
In 1913 the school moved to its present site, which was designed by British architect C H B Quennell as a purpose-built preparatory school with boarding accommodation.
The school relocated from Essex to Lansdowne Place in Hove in 1901 with a roll of just eight boys. The Snell brothers ran the school for many years until their respective retirements.
Mowden School was founded in 1896 by Mr Bernard Snell at Mowden Hall, in Hatfield Peverel, Essex. Originally with just one pupil and a boarder, it marked the start of the school before it moved to Sussex in 1901.