The Lancing Sixth Form is an increasingly popular choice for parents and pupils after their GCSEs. Every year the vast majority of pupils who have been at the school since the age of 13 choose to stay. At the same time, Lancing also attracts new pupils who are looking for a different Sixth Form experience. Sixth Form pupils receive extensive support in understanding their options for higher education and in preparing them for a life after Lancing. This tailored support for pupils in finding the right courses to suit their individual interest is evident in the variety and quality of pupil destinations.
A Level Results 2019
In the third year of the reformed A Levels and in a context of a nationally challenging picture, Lancing College is delighted to report another strong set of results and success for many pupils. Thirteen of this year’s Upper Sixth scored a clean sweep of all A Levels at A grade or better, and 82 candidates scored two or more A*s, As or B grades in their A Levels.
Other highlights include:
- All of our candidates for Oxford and Cambridge will be taking up their places, in subjects as diverse as Modern Languages, Engineering, Mathematics and History.
- 87% of Further Mathematics passes were at A or A* grade. For well over a decade, the Department has sent at least one candidate from Lancing to study the subject at the universities of Oxford and Cambridge.
- 80% of candidates for German, 86% of candidates for French and 100% of candidates for Italian scored A*-A grades, marking the College as a particular proponent of outstanding teaching of modern European languages. Across all modern languages taken at Lancing, the A*-B pass rate is 93%, a striking success in a diverse and cosmopolitan boarding school.
- Five students from this year’s application cycle will go on to study Medicine at university including one of this year’s two Head Girls, Lydia Brown.
- Biomedical and life sciences continue to be popular with 11 students going on to study the subject at some extremely competitive universities including Edinburgh University, Imperial College London and Nottingham.
- All students taking the Extended Project Qualification scored A* or A grades, testament to the great value placed on independence of thought at Lancing rather than simply ‘teaching to the test’.
- Economics, Business and related disciplines also remain a very strong and well-performing speciality of the College with a very wide range of students going on to study this subject area at universities as diverse as the London School of Economics, Warwick, Cardiff, Exeter and Nottingham.
- Everyone in our Sports BTEC programme gained the equivalent of A* or A grades.
- The average UCAS points score of our candidates equates to equivalent of above AAB at A Level, meaning that our students compete for places at some of the best universities in the UK and around the world.
In addition to those pupils going straight to university, a number choose to defer their place for a year, usually planning to carry out work experience and also to travel.